These supplemental File Folder Activities support activities related to the curriculum for:
- Math counting 1-10
- Matching numbers 1-10
- Reading Nemeth numbers 1-5
The inspiration for this activity was to provide students with visual impairments and additional disabilities the opportunity to participate in similar activities to their sighted peers.
- file folder
- textured arts and craft jewels or other textured craft supply
- hot glue
- glue gun
- Ziploc bag
- card board strips
- Begin by attaching small objects to the paper, with a matching number of the same object glued on a piece of heavy card board. Mix up the cards and ask the child to count the items on the file folder and then find a card with the matching object and corresponding number of items. Start with small quantities (1-5) and slowly increase to 10, as the student is able.
- Once the students understand the number concepts, the individual worksheets can also be brailled, as in the examples below.
- Utilize Nemeth Code to match the number of objects counted.
- Match the number with the word.
- The student can be fully engaged by writing numbers, citing number words, assisting with adding textures for counting.
- Activities can be created with peers, as well.
- Students can work together to create a counting story that can be braille, recorded into a communication device, or in other digital formats depending on the goal.