AER (Association for the Rehabilitation and Education of the Visually Impaired) recently announced a new division, which will be devoted to Neurological Visual Impairment. The AER Neurological Visual Impairment Division seeks to increase the knowledge base of providers and help refine further areas of need in terms of education, medical, rehabilitation, and habilitation care and research.
- Advocate for the need for research for this population.
- Create position statements on teaming and best practice for this population.
- Support vision professionals who are new or need information for this population.
- Advocate to the medical profession to improve timely diagnosis, education and rehabilitation support for this population.
- Support epidemiological efforts to characterize the type and frequency of occurrence in military, veteran and civilian populations.