Pre-Symposium Workshop: The Basics of Understanding Deafblindness in Children and Youth
March 2, 2017
The staff from the Texas Deafblind Project will present a one-day Pre-Symposium Workshop at the Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired, James C. Durkel Conference Center. The content of this workshop will be a day of “Deafblindness 101”, with information geared toward parents, educators, and associated professionals who are new the world of deafblindness.
The pre-conference training, “The Basics of Understanding Deafblindness in Children and Youth,” will provide an overview of:
- Terminology associated with the issues surrounding deafblindness;
- The effects of deafblindness on information access and concept development;
- Understanding and communicating with people who are deafblind;
- Encouraging and supporting purposeful and confident movement;
- Strategies to more effectively offer support and connect with people who are deafblind;
- Developing successful and meaningful learning activities; and
- Elements of effective intervention in a variety of settings.
2017 Texas Symposium on Deafblindness: Making Connections
March 3-4, 2017
The theme for 2017 is Making Connections and will focus on the importance of making connections in the life of individuals with deafblindness. The speakers include:
- Dr. Judy Cameron, Center on Developing Children at Harvard
- Dr. Joe Gibson, Outdoor and Physical Activities Co-ordinator for Sense Scotland
- Suzanne Zeedyk, University of Dundee (Scotland), within the School of Psychology and founder of Connected Baby
- Bernadette van den Tillaart, Deafblind Consultant and National Leadership Consortium in Sensory Disabilities Doctoral Scholar
- Robbie Blaha, Deafblind Education Consultant with TSBVI Outreach and many more
Please consult the agenda for a detailed description of sessions and speakers.
Paths to Literacy will be there to meet you on Saturday. Please stop by to say hello!
For registration and more information, see: http://www.tsbvi.edu/texas-symposium-on-deafblindness
Mar 02, 2017 to Mar 04, 2017