This online course is taught by Paths to Literacy popular blogger "Liamsmom", who is also known as Sandy Kenrick. The course emphasizes the importance of accessible literacy for children who are blind, visually impaired or deafblind. Participants will become familiar with different strategies and tools that can be used to create and modify literacy materials for early readers that will support a love for literacy. Participants will also create accessible books for their student/child as part of their assignments.
This course is designed for anyone who works with a child who is blind, visually impaired or deafblind including (but not limited to) TVI's, Classroom teachers, speech therapist, interveners and family members.
The course will consist of the following 6 sessions:
- Introduction — Need for Accessibility
- Experience books
- Story Boxes, Story Bags, and Conversation Boxes
- Story Boxes and Conversation Boxes, Part 2
- Concept Books and Adapting Children's Literature: Creating Accessible Books
- Thematic Unit: Tying it All Together
Apr 30, 2018