By Marnee Loftin and Cyral Miller, TSBVI
Handouts from the presentation "Students with Visual Impairments and Learning Disabilities"
STEPS IN DETERMINING A LEARNING DISABILITY:
DETERMINING THE IMPACT OF THE PARTICULAR EYE CONDITION
1. Are the problems noted directly attributable to the eye condition?
- Missing punctuation because of low acuity
- Slow reading rates because of use of LV devices
- Problems in maintaining place in reading passages because of nystagmus
2. Has there been a recent change in learning medium?
3. Are the educational problems a result of the failure to use appropriate modifications?
4. Have there been frequent changes in learning medium?